top of page

Do I need to file a self assessment?


Generally you will only need to file a personal self assessment when you receive taxable income that has not been fully taxed at source.



If you have received dividends, you are responsible for declaring them to HMRC as personal income. If you earned total dividends of less than £10,000 during the personal tax year to 5 April, you can declare your dividends to HMRC over the phone (call 0300 200 3300) avoiding the need to file a personal tax return. If you earned dividends over £10,000, you must file a personal tax return to declare the dividends to HMRC.

To register for personal self assessment, please click the link below:

If you are registered for self assessment and all your income has been fully taxed at source, call 0300 200 3310 to inform HMRC that you no longer need to file a self assessment.


bottom of page